Health and nutrition are the most focused parts of a toddler’s life. All parents try
their best to give their kids the best nutrition and diet.
If we notice that parents of toddlers are more confused than parents of infants and younger children,
now here arises a question: What is the reason for this confusion? So the answer is an infant’s diet is obvious. A baby is fed with milk till six months, and a young child can eat anything according to his needs and desires. The age of 2-3 years and more is the era of body development in which a child’s body is flourishing with the intake of nutrients. So their diet should be balanced so that there is a balance of nutrition that will work effectively in their growth. Nothing should be in excess or infrequent amounts. Now we will discuss some health-beneficial foods for kids of 2 years with the proper ratio of calories.
NUTRIENTS FOR A KID OF 2 YEARS:
• Vitamin A, D, C
Toddlers are very moody in the matter of food, so it is suggested to divide the portions of
Nutrition in the meals and make them tasty so that they can enjoy it
PROTEIN RICH FOOD:
Protein-rich foods are present in larger quantities, but the point is you should not repeat the same thing daily. It can bore the child and can also be a restricted nutrition protein present in
• lentils and beans
• Peanut butter
• Fish etc.
HOW TO ADD MORE PROTEIN TO YOUR KID’S DIET:
Try to offer them plant-based, protein-rich food
• You can offer them peanut butter on bread or fruit, as there will be no sugar
• You can add boiled legumes or beans to their meal
• You can casually offer them some nuts as a snack because toddlers love abrupt eating
instead of a proper meal, and they end up having unhealthy packed stuff ‘so it’s a good
to make their snacking healthy and nutritious.
CALCIUM-RICH FOODS :
Calcium is a nutrient which is added to human life from birth, as its primary source is milk
but as we are talking about a toddler, they are not always sticking to milk, so the element of
Calcium should be present in their diet, too.
It is present in
• Nuts etc.
HOW TO COMPETE AGAINST CALCIUM DEFICIENCY IN KIDS:
• You can make a routine of giving them one cup of milk by flavoring it with homemade
hazelnut powder or peanut butter
• You can offer them homemade tiramisu (fresh yogurt with coco powder chilled like an
• Apricot has a good amount of calcium and vitamins and is most liked by toddlers
• Sesame seeds and soybeans, figs.
• A kid needs almost 6-7 mg of iron per day. It is present In almost the same things
mentioned before like
• Egg, tofu, beans
• Sweet potatoes
• Dark chocolates
• Tomatoes etc.
HOW TO INCREASE IRON LEVEL IN KIDS:
• You can make a merlette for them, including spinach and dried legumes.
• Cereal-based breakfast ( bread with peanut butter, oats )
• Offering them dates in the morning. They are very beneficial for adults, too
• Try to add dark green vegetables and meat to their lunch.
CARBOHYDRATES AND VITAMIN-RICH FOODS:
• Carbohydrates play an essential role in the health development of babies, and they also
play an essential role in the weight gain of children. Foods enriched with carbohydrates and
• Vegetables (they are enriched with multivitamins and carbohydrates and are major
source of fibers)
• Snack foods
• Legumes and some seeds which contain essential vitamins
• Brown rice
• Popcorn and cherries
• Fruits contains ample amount of multivitamins.
HOW TO INCREASE CARBOHYDRATE AND VITAMINS INTAKE IN TODDLERS:
• Toddlers like refined forms of starch and carbohydrates, so you can give them boiled,
mashed potatoes and a slice of bread with peanut butter. This meal will be a complete
package of protein, carbohydrates, vitamins
• You can serve carbohydrate-rich food by making pasta with more vegetables and rice
or flour-made pasta fillings. This will also be a rich source of vitamins if vegetables are
not overcooked. And all of us know about the love of children for pasta and other junk
foods, so what’s better than making it healthy at home?
IMPORTANCE OF WATER:
• Water is a significant factor in everyone’s life for children. Parents should
avoid giving their kids carbonated drinks and preserved or canned juice as they are very
unhealthy. They should be used to drink plenty of water.
• CARBOHYDRATE 40%
• PROTEIN 30%
• FAT 30%